Tuesday 10 November 2009

Bonfire Night Madness...well the Saturday at least!

Well, as you can see from the previous post, I had done lots of cutting down of trees, bushes, and fences, ready for the insuing Bonfire night, I couldn't have nothing to burn!!!! So I cut, lopped, chopped, sawed and smashed a mixture of bushes, trees and bushes ready for the big burn off.

With the most shitty weather we had most of last week, it meant that all the wood was completely damp, the bushes saturated, and the chance of starting a fire near impossible, but I'm not a man who gives up easily, especially as it was bonfire night + 2 days (Saturday 7th Nov), and I had guests that were expecting a nice big roast of trees, so I did the thing that most insane people do!! I built up my pile, making sure it was as compacted as possible, and covered it all around with dry bits of newspaper, just to start it off, started lighting it, and as you would expect, the paper burnt, hit the wet bushes, and went out.


So thought the only way I shall get this going, is dowse it in petrol!!! So petrol can in hand, again started my little points of burning paper, then chucked on half a jug full of petrol, and it made a song like a dog.....Woooooooffffff!!!!!


By the end of the night, it had burnt down very well, I just had to keep moving it all around to make sure it all burnt, and nothing was left.


The following lunch time, it was still red hot, and smoldering away, so I collected all the little straggles of leaves, twigs, and wood that had escaped, and stoked the center, put them on, then watch them very quickly set a light again!!


By the late afternoon, all wood, bushes, trees, fences, etc was all burnt, leavinig a big empty space where it all was before, and I was left with a big pile of ash, smoking away, ready to cool down and be scattered onto my veggie patch, to enrich it with lots of nitrogen, ready to make my veggies grow nice and big next year. All I need to do now is get a delivery of horse s**t, which for the cost of delivery of £20, I can get 2 year old horse manure from a local stable yard!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment